To have everyone in America participate in making themselves, our communities, and our nation safer
The mission of Citizen Corps is to harness the power of every individual through education, training, and volunteer service to make communities safer, stronger, and better prepared to respond to the threats of terrorism, crime, public health issues, and disasters of all kinds.
The Citizen Corps mission is accomplished through a national network of state, local, and tribal Citizen Corps Councils. These Councils build on community strengths to implement the Citizen Corps programs and will carry out a local strategy to have every American participate.
We all have a role in hometown security, a personal responsibility to be prepared; to get trained in first aid and emergency skills; and to volunteer to support local emergency responders, disaster relief, and community safety.
The President of the United States asked local communities across the country to establish Citizen Corps Councils as part of his plea for increased volunteerism. Citizen Corps is a component of the USA Freedom Corps that creates opportunities for citizens to help their communities in a variety of ways. Major disasters in a community can overwhelm the capability of first responders, especially in the first 12 to 72 hours of the response.
Citizens who are better prepared to take care of themselves (and others) in times of crisis will enhance preparedness and response. This is the core of Citizens Corps.
When a disaster strikes, you need information fast.
FEMA has a free email subscription service that delivers news updates and disaster-related information directly to your computer or wireless device, such as:
- When a major disaster is declared
- Where local recovery centers are located
- What kind of financial aid is available
- How to obtain disaster-related assistance
- What to do after a disaster has passed
- Much more!
To sign up simply click on the following link:
https://service.govdelivery.com/service/subscribe.html?code=USDHSFEMA_153 - BROKEN LINK
No personal information is required. Just enter an e-mail address and your zip code and state to receive news that affects you in your area. It's that easy.
This news story and other Community Preparedness news, including Citizen Corps Bulletins, can be found on our website at http://www.citizencorps.gov/
National Office of Citizen Corps
FEMA Community Preparedness Division
Citizen Corps Benefits
- Greater sense of security, responsibility, and personal control
- Builds community pride, unity, and patriotism
- Promotes risk reduction, mitigation, and preparedness practices
- Prepares us all for helping others in a crisis
Emergency Responder Benefits
- Year round support through volunteer programs
- Reduces burden on first responder services by promoting mitigation and preparedness measures
- Creates well trained, better informed, and better prepared citizens to take care of themselves and others during times of crisis -- allowing first responders to address the most critical needs